PPPOE and Wine how to config?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Sep 1 10:52:53 CDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Nick Petrik wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know how to set up internet access when running pppoe?
>
> Regards
>
> Nick

I kid you not.  The simplest way to do this is to get your linux box
connected to the internet in its own right.  Then windose apps you run
with Wine will be able to access the internet without any special Wine
configuration.

Linux has drivers for most ethernet cards, and there is a package named
"Roaring Penguin", I think, that does PPPoE for Linux.  Sorry, I don't
know offhand where it lives; if all else fails, you could ask
linux-newbie at vger.kernel.org (an open ML), probably somebody there uses
it.

If you want to use Wine to run a windose PPPoE client, maybe it will
work, but remember, Wine uses the underlying *NIX OS (usually Linux) to
work the hardware, not some .vxd, so you still need to make your
ethernet card work with Linux.

Hmmm, I think I will use Juno version 4 over a Linux PPP connection to
send this, just bacause I can.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!