Performance in Half-Life

Michael Pearce chuzwuzza at ematic.com
Wed Sep 5 01:51:33 CDT 2001

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:28:05 GMT
Jonas Kalderstam <colonelj at tjohoo.se> wrote:

> I got it working with wine, yay... And it's entirely playable but two
> problems puzzle me.
>
> Number one: The sound is lagging behind. I shoot and then about 1 second
> later, the gun makes a noise. Now the gun fires instantly but the sound
> is just delayed. (the same with all sound in half-life, no other game
> though).
> Anyone else had this problem?

well i dont know about your fps problem, but the sound one is easy enough to fix.
the first thing to mess with is the value of _snd_mixahead in your config.cfg file. ive found that a value of 0.21 works perfectly for me, but you can try others. also, if you use the ALSA drivers for your soundcard, from my experience you will never get perfect sound in half-life. for some reason alsa just doesnt play nice with half-life under wine.

--Michael Pearce