Running soft with flexlm MAC based license under wine?

Andreas Mohr Usenet 08/01 vooe7o001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Sep 7 04:23:06 CDT 2001

An Metet <anmetet at freedom.gmsociety.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> | When I try to run the FlexLM protected (with NIC MAC based licecnse) software
> | under wine (Linux) I get the following messages:
> | fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device VNETBIOS
> | fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device VNETBIOS
> | fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device VNETBIOS
> | And finally the program doesn't start because it is not able to check the
> | license.
> | Is it possible to write a fake VNETBIOS VxD to make such software working
> | with wine? (Probably it could be even possible to provide it with MAC
> | address as a parameter... ;-)

> Probably you need not the fake VNETBIOS VxD, but the fake NIC driver with
> selectable MAC address.
> It can be easily done in Linux (for details see:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=53368b1ce33a9aa151c15d2bf674f3ce%40mixmaster.shinn.net
> )
> I think that it could be done for wine (or even Windows itself) as well, but
> I don't know exactly how to do it.
> BTW. This method would fail if flexlm accesses the NIC's PROM directly.

Nope, I don't think so.
Why would a selectable MAC address change anything ??
I mean, the NIC surely has the correct MAC, doesn't it ??

IMHO it's about a 150% possibility that VNETBIOS is the problem.
--> dig up a usable VNETBIOS VxD docu on the internet and implement
appropriate services in win32/device.c.
(I'm sure there must be a VNETBIOS function to find out the MAC)

VNETBIOS is a very widely accessed VxD anyway, so Wine *really* ought to
have support for it...

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: