Wine and Windows 2000

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Sep 9 20:47:09 CDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Scott wrote:

> I had the latest wine running under winblows 98 SE for a week or two with no
> problems, then I installed winblows 2000 and now I cannot get wine to work.
> It is important for me to get it running again since I run United Devices
> cancer research agent (http://members.ud.com) 24/7 to help them find a cure
> for cancer.  Is wine compatible with Win2k, or will I need to re-install 98
> again?
> --
I see no one has taken the trouble to bite your head off, so I guess it
is my turn.  You did not ever run Wine under any flavor of winblows,
unless maybe you used vmware for winblows to do it.  Wine is a *nix
(linux, FI) application program and library that provides the winblows
API to winblows applications.  For those applications, Wine _is_
winblows, of whichever --winver the Wine Administrator tells it to be.
Neither does Wine run winblows.  It has no use at all for the core
winblows dlls - kernel32, gdi32, user32, except insofar as some
application might want to check if they are there and read version
information from them.  If they are not there, Wine will make up version
information.

win2000 dll's are more thoroughly booby-trapped than earlier windows
versions, so you might have better success with something like this in
~/.wine/config:

[DllOverrides]
"*"            = "builtin, so, native"

[AppDefaults\\juno.exe\\DllOverrides]
"msvcrt"       = "native"
"riched32"     = "native"

[AppDefaults\\netscape.exe\\DllOverrides]
"msvcrt"       = "native"

Set AppDefaults for your own apps, of course, probably mine won't do you
any good, but I don't think

"*"            = "native, builtin, so"

will work very well with winblows 2000 any time soon.  The main thrust
of Wine development seems to be to get the wine builtin dll's working,
not to be compatible with native dll's of any version.  If our dll's
work with Wine, why should we care if Mr. Bill's don't?

Lawson
---oof---