Ultima Online

Robert Laverick csujo at scabserver.com
Tue Sep 11 08:44:52 CDT 2001

If UO is anything like Diablo II (I mean in the way it works not in the
things it does, let's not start an argument over which is better or anything
silly like that :-D ) then it must have some form of protection, probably
checking that the game is intact and un modified when you try to connect
(possibly in the updater too?) which leads me to think that if this is where
it fails, then it fails at the same place as diablo II, wich works Flawlessly
in singel player, but can't validate the version to it's server.
as far as I can see there's three possible problems, well ok there's lost
more, but these are the three I would think logical....

1) the game under wine is incorectly generating the checksum that it sends to
the network, could be a problem with reading the files, or in the calculating
of a checksum.

2) there is some problem in the way that it is communicating, which I find
unlikly since it validates my CD without comment, but that's hardly proof.

3)  since I presume that a NO CD crack is needed to make the game run in
linux (as it seems most games do at the moment)  it could be that the cracks
that are avaliable are exploting subtle parts of windows, that as yet are
un-replicated in wine, to allow it to fool the validation checker.

of the three I would put my money on 3, which leaves two possible ways to fix
it, fix the problem directly or find a different way of getting round the CD
copy protection issue, maybe there's some way of producing a dirty hack
that'll just answer correctly for a specific aplication.
Well whatever the solution, it probably needs some work by someone who knows
their way arround wine, which unfortunatly isn't me -  yet, one day it will,
but not today <G>

Good luck!
Rob