Borland's bcc55 linker...

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Sep 12 12:46:58 CDT 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, William Rayer wrote:

> I have the source. Sorry if my posting was unclear. By "port" I meant
> "modify the source code in such a way that it will compile and run under
> a new operating system, while keeping it working on the original platform".
>
> I am ignorant about Wine, though I have experience porting DOS and
> OS2 to Windows. Is the idea behind Wine that it is a Windows
> emulation library for GNU Linux? Do I link to the Wine .libs instead of
> the Windows .libs (which obviously could not work under Unix).
> If so, and if it works, it could be a very useful product.
>
> Regards
> Bill Rayer
> lingolanguage <at> hotmail <dot> com

More precisely, it is an implementation of (some of) the windows API for
*NIX.  Well supported platforms are i386 Gnu Linux and FreeBSD and
Solaris x86, but IIRC Ulrich Weigand got some Winelib apps running on
IBM S390 Linux at one point.  It can use native windows binaries
(not the main ones like kernel and user and gdi, but minor ones) only on
i386 *NIX.

You need a .spec file to tell winebuild which dlls you are importing
functions from.  winemaker knows how to generate .spec files and
./configure.in (you need Gnu autoconf to make a ./configure script),
but you might need to hand-hack the Makefile a bit.

I'd say just get the Wine source, ./configure, make and install it, and
read "man winemaker", which will refer you in turn to the winelib user
guide.  There are doco packages at the Wine ftp sites, or you can use
this nasty little sed program to read the winelib-*.sgml files in
<wine>/documentation.

#!/bin/sh
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.