Alternate file name hash for winver win31?

Andreas Mohr Usenet 08/01 vooe7o001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:11:31 CDT 2001

Dick Repasky <rrepasky at indiana.edu> wrote:
> Filenames that don't conform to the 8.3 file name scheme of dos
> file systems are hashed by wine as expected on vfat file systems,
> using the function DOSFS_Hash.  Yet, the rules for windows
> 3.1 were somewhat different.  File name requests that didn't
> conform to the 8.3 scheme were simply truncated to fit.
> Evidence of this exists in the execution of S-Plus for
> windows 3.1.  The program requests a file called "___nonfile"
> and the operating system truncates the request to "___nonfi"
> and stores it with that name.

> Is there any possibility of implementing Windows 3.1
> behavior in wine?
Hmm, I think we'd need to know where exactly your program does have a problem
with that.
It might be possible that this is indeed a problem in Wine that can be fixed,
but we'd need to know why.
Run
wine --debugmsg +relay,+text,+string,+file,+dosfs MyPrg.exe &>/tmp/wine.log
, gzip it and mail it.

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: