iwne error - shared libraries

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Sep 15 18:08:28 CDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Florian Idelberger wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> once ago I had this cool windows api emulator working, but then I installed
> a fresh tarball and now when I start wine I get the following message:
> bash-2.04: wine
> shared libraries not found undeclared symbol dosvm
> bash-2.04:
>
> anybody here who can help me??

Maybe.  What kind of package did this cool windows api emulator come in?
Where did you get it?  What kind of fresh tarball?  Where did you get
that, and how did you install it?  Different packagers of Wine install
it to different directories such that vestiges of an old package can get
in the way of a fresh install.  If you had FI a Mandrake or RedHat .rpm
or some other distro's ready made package of Wine and are trying to
build and install it from source in the default directories as chosen by
the Wine project, please uninstall the rpm or other package
first.  Wineinstall should catch an rpm, because we've had so
much trouble with them, but nothing is foolproof.

I can't say for sure that is the problem:  that error message you quote
looks to me like complete gibberish.

> many thanks in advance
> Florian Idelberger

Lawson