wine reports wrong version

Praedor Tempus praedor at uswest.net
Tue Sep 25 19:49:08 CDT 2001

I have been running, first, codeweaver's wine and, just recently I built
and installed wine-20010918-1.  Nonetheless, no matter which version I have
had, doing a "wine --version" produces "Wine release 20010824".

I have uninstalled wine before switching from one version to another.
Doing "rpm -qa |grep wine" shows only wine-20010918-1 installed.  Somewhere
is a file/config that is causing wine to misreport which version it
is...and this also makes me wonder if this situation is a potential source
of my wine problems - mixed libs or binaries, etc.

What file supplies the version information?  Or is it built into the binary
executable?  If the latter, why do all versions of wine seem to report
"Wine release 20010824"?