What the HELL is deadbeef?! Or lstat64.c?

Povl H. Pedersen nospam at home.terminal.dk
Thu Sep 27 17:52:48 CDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:39:36 -0600,
Praedor Tempus <praedor at uswest.net> wrote:
> OK, I have windoze ME installed on my system and have been trying to run IE
> 6.0 with wine release 20010824.  Trying to start iexplore.exe goes along
> until:
>
> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xdeadbeef in 32-bit code
> (0xdeadbeef).

0xDeadBeef is on odd value, which is usually illegal to use as a
pointer.

It has been used in the PowerPC world for a long time, and supposedly
it comes from IBM, and it refers to the football team of Austin, Texas
has a bull or so as a mascot, and the other IBM developer group wanted
to tease them in the over ongoing competition.

> In 32-bit mode.
> 0xdeadbeef (_end+0x9df10793): *** Invalid address 0xdeadbeef
> (_end+0x9df10793)
> -- no code --
> Enter path to file 'lstat64.c':
>
> What is this?  Deadbeef?  lstat64.c?

Deadbeef is a losing football team mascot.