smbfs + wine + sourcesafe = slow

Andreas Mohr Usenet 08/01 vooe7o001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Sep 29 05:35:14 CDT 2001

Dan Kegel <dkegel at ixiacom.com> wrote:
> While it is amazing that Sourcesafe runs under Wine,
> its performance leaves a lot to be desired.

> I am using Sourcesafe with Wine (my setup is documented at
> http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-howto.html ).
> The Wine I'm using is from CVS as of last week.
> My workstation is a dual Pentium Xeon 1400MHz from Dell
> running 2.4.10.  (That's a Pentium 4 Xeon using RDRAM,
> so it's probably about comparable to a Penium 3 1 GHz.)

> Sourcesafe on this machine is just barely usable for large
> recursive get's of 2000 or so files; it seems to average
> about one file per second.
> There is a several second pause each time it hits a new directory,
> after which several files per second are processed.

> Anyone know why it's so slow?
Umm, why don't you use --debugmsg +relay to find out where exactly
one second long delays are occurring ?

I guess it's file access anyway.
Samba has a lot of socket options for tweaking.
;   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_KEEPALIVE

Probably that's the problem.

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: