dll issues

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 08:26:21 CST 2002

Robert, sorry for long delay with the response.

Robert Shade wrote:

>>You mean these are the last messages you see from
Wine
>>in the console? In many cases these messages do not
>>have anything to do with the real problem.
>

>>What exactly are the applications? Did you try to
>>anybody else could run them?
>>Can we get some free (trial, demo) copy of these
>>applications?
>

> Found a site for the first one www.formdocs.com.
Try their demo download.

I downloaded and tried to install the application.
The good news - I found the issue which causes the
installation to freeze.
This is an old 16-bit application. 16 bit API is not
supported so well in Wine because not so many people
need it nowdays.

I will do further research and let you know about the
results.

Robert, meantime you can use a workaround:
a) - try to use library tooltip.dll from Windows. This
is where offending API is.
b) install the app under Windows and copy it to Linux.
Look at the directory programs/regapi of Wine
distribution. It has a few scripts for "diffing"
registry files before and after the installation. This
helps to find the changes to registry the installation
does. BTW, if this is an old app, it can write to ini
file as well.

Andriy Palamarchuk