regedit.exe notepad.exe and other wine substitutes

Pedro Restrepo pedrores at tutopia.com
Wed Apr 17 23:09:51 CDT 2002

Raul,

In my opinion the best solution is to have a real application in the C: wine unit.

For example, if you need a text editor you can use an alternative for Notepad.

I investigated the windows registry and found this:

1. The "link" between files types (3 letter extensions) is defined in 2 steps.
2. The first step is to define "type names". For example .TXT files are named
"txtfile". In my registry I found several 3 letter extensions connected with the
name "txtfile" (not only the extension .TXT)
3. The second step is the link between the name and the application that manage
this "family of extensions"

I exported the registry branches where these steps are defined.

The branch for the first step is in the attached file : TIPOARCH.REG
The branch for the second step is in the attached file: TIPOAPLI.REG

(both files can be viewed using a normal text editor in Linux or in Windows. DO
NOT double click on them while in Windows, if you do so, you will append the
contents to your registry)

(As you can see in the second file, I use UltraEdit as text editor, it is very
very good)

I hope this helps you.

Pedro Restrepo