Installing IE

Tom Williams tomdkat at attbi.com
Wed Aug 7 02:31:53 CDT 2002

David Jones wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2002, at 23:43, Ambassador Incursio wrote:
>
> > I usually avoid questioning someone's reasons for
> > doing something when they ask for help, but I am
> > sorry, I gotta ask it here:  Why?
>
> Well, at my office, a number of our intranet apps (such
> as the system we all have to use to put in vacation
> requests and sick leave, our online service request
> system, and our online purchase req system) work only
> in IE. Blame that on staff programmers who like MS
> products, but also on the fact that they're too
> shorthanded to test and debug their web apps on
> multiple browser platforms.
>
> I just evaluated an online training vendor's product line.
> It doesn't work with NS6 or Mozilla, which they admit
> and state that they have no plans to fix. It claims to
> work with Netscape 4.7x, but I could never login using
> NS 4.79. It didn't even work with IE 5.5. It only worked
> with IE6. It uses the Windows Media Player and
> Shockwave for the multimedia part of the courses.
> Does WMP work under WINE? Is there a Linux version
> of Shockwave?
>
> Then there are sites that require ActiveX plugins.
>
> Finally, there are products (such as the web
> calendaring app my employer uses) that use archaic
> browser sniffing techniques and simply refuse to even
> *let* you try any browser platform version except the
> few that they accept.
>
> I'd much rather be using Linux at work than W98 and/or
> WindowsXP, but not quite yet. And the majority of our
> programming staff want to move to .NET and buy the
> whole MS thing completely. We're rolling out
> WindowsXP and MS OfficeXP as the organization's
> standard PC platform (the Mac users will get OS X as
> their machines are replaced with new ones).
>
> David
> gnome at hawaii.rr.com

This is an aside, but if you install Mozilla 1.1 there is a plug-in you
can install called 'UABar' that will allow you to configure which
browser Mozilla will identify itself as.  You can configure Mozilla to
identify itself as "IE 6" and that might help with your compatibility
problems....

It's worth investigating, at least... :)

Peace...

Tom