Fwd: this is scary

Derek Broughton derek_broughton at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 08:57:03 CDT 2002

From: "Sylvain Petreolle" <spetreolle at yahoo.fr>

> will perhaps do for wine drives (note perhaps is meant for : this is
> not sure in any way), but not for linux ones... you cannot bypass unix
> security by using windows tricks. wine is a user application, not a
> system one. but if you're crazy and run it as root and give access to /
> in a windows drive ... why not ... but this has to be done by YOU and
> only YOU, so this can't be done. (or are you crazy ?)
>
>  --- phrostie <pfrostie at yahoo.com> a écrit : > i got this link from
> another list.
> > does this affect applications running in wine?
> >
> > http://security.tombom.co.uk/shatter.html

It's one of the biggest problems I've encountered with Wine, and will
continue to be until the application vendors fix their code (as the MS exec
pointed out - he just refused to accept that it's MS's permission for
vendors to write broken code that's at the root of the problem).  I
routinely run across applications that try to write into windows they don't
own.
--
derek