Really basic question about compiling WINE

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 22:03:09 CDT 2002

my understanding is that building your own is only required if you need to
support special hardware like video acceleration.

the config on the otherhand will almost always need to be tweaked in my
experience.

in the end it will all depend on what applications you need to support.
the default config is always a good starting point.  one word of wisdom,
always make a copy of configuration files to save as a baseline to go back to
before you start making changes.

On Friday 09 August 2002 21:08, you wrote:
>   I am an intermediate Linux user. I dual boot into Redhat 7.3 and
> Windows ME. It would be nice to be able to run the stuff in Windows from
> Linux (for 2 reasons: to avoid booting and rebooting, and trying to get
> away from Windows altogether someday), so I am now learning WINE.
>
> I see a bunch of postings on this list about compiling. Question: Would
> I expect to compile, as opposed to just running the WINE configuration
> that came with Redhat 7.3? (Probably a pretty broad question, but if
> anyone has a word to say, I'm all ears.)
>
> SJR

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux