Wine license issues [WAS: new quartz dll ??]

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Sat Aug 10 13:48:47 CDT 2002

Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Raul Dias wrote:
>> Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> wrote:
>> >On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Mark Hannessen wrote:

>> > Additionally, the following components are covered by the GNU Lesser
>> > General Public License, found in the LICENCE.LGPL file:
>> >  dlls/avicap32/
>> >  dlls/msdmo/
>> >  dlls/quartz/
>> >  dlls/msacm/winemp3
>> >  programs/regsvr32
>>

>> So this all means that winex 2.1 is LGPLed?
>
>No, only the modules listed above.

ok,

This is something I want to ask for some time now :)

Does this mean that License issues works with wine as it
works with the Linux kernel?

The Linux kernel is GPLed, however if a module (driver) is
dynamic loadable, it can have a proprietary license.

Is this the way it works with wine? The core (wine itself)
is LGPL, however its modules (builtin dlls in this case) could
have a different license.

If this is true, I think it would make things easier for everyone.

As an example, winex specific code (COM support, DX, ...) would be able
to just plug into a regular wine. It would also benefits winex as it would
have a more consistent core which would help sove common problems for wine (codeweavers)
and winex faster (as the dll separation stuff).

[]'s
Raul Dias