Wine license issues

Mark Hannessen msh104.mymail at 12move.nl
Sun Aug 11 14:53:12 CDT 2002

> ok,

> This is something I want to ask for some time now :)

> Does this mean that License issues works with wine as it
> works with the Linux kernel?

> The Linux kernel is GPLed, however if a module (driver) is
> dynamic loadable, it can have a proprietary license.

> Is this the way it works with wine? The core (wine itself)
> is LGPL, however its modules (builtin dlls in this case) could
> have a different license.

> If this is true, I think it would make things easier for everyone.

> As an example, winex specific code (COM support, DX, ...) would be able
> to just plug into a regular wine. It would also benefits winex as it would
> have a more consistent core which would help sove common problems for wine >
> (codeweavers)
> and winex faster (as the dll separation stuff).

> []'s
> Raul Dias

every dll in wine can have its own license.

This is already done a long time
for example: wineX has been using AFPL dll's since they started.
and we sometime's need to load windows dll's and they have a
different license too. ( but i guess you already knew that )

But i do think that we want to keep as much as we can under the
same license. since that makes it easier to move stuff around.

Mark Hannessen

oh...

If someone want's to look at the wineX cvs that contains the LGPL
licened stuff.. this is the syntax: ( thanks to Rizsanyi Zsolt )

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex checkout -r
winex-2-1 wine