wine-users digest, Vol 1 #1217 - Message 2 - Subject: Fresh installation

Crispen Scott C.Scott at astronautics.com
Fri Aug 16 14:52:08 CDT 2002

>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:08:51 -0600 James McTavish wrote:
>
> I'm getting ready to set up a new system, and I want to run wine with it
> using a windows partition.  I know wine works with win95 and 98
> (presumably 98se too) versions, however I can't find out if it will run
> with windows 2000 anywhere.  I'm going to have a windows 2000 partition
> anyway (in FAT32), and I want to know if that can be my windows
> partition that wine can use.  If not, I'm going to have to include a
> windows 98se partition as well.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on the "best" way to setup a system for
> wine?  All I can find is the generic HOWTO that describes how to mount a
> window partition and use it for wine, but makes no reference to which
> version of windows it can run.  Any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -James

James, If you set up a FAT32 WIndows partition with WIn2K in it, WINE can access the required files.

Install WIN2K first in a FAT32 partition then install Linux (I am using RedHat 7.3 currently and it works fine)
on your free drive space. I also used GRUB when doing my install.

If you want to have a dual-boot machine, then modify /boot/grub/grub.conf similar to the following:

default=0      *** this will point to the default OS, WIN2k in this case, =1 for RH ***
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

*** add these lines to point to YOUR WIN2K partition ***
title Win2K
	root (hd0,0)
        makeactive
	chainloader +1
***  END ADDITION ***

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda5
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img

Next you will have to mount your drive using:
mount -t vfat /mnt/windows

*** This assumes that your have defined the MOUNT location to be mnt/windows.
You could name it anything, but this works best with WINE ***

If you want the windows partition to be mounted automatically, add the following line to your
/etc/rc.local file:

mount /mnt/windows

Hope this helps!

Crispen Scott