Wine Hides On-board RAM

Ian D. Stewart idstewart at compuvative.com
Sun Aug 18 10:32:54 CDT 2002

I have recently noticed an unusual side-effect of running Wine.  When I
first start up my system, /proc/meminfo reports MemTotal as 256892 kb.
After running Wine for awhile, /proc/meminfo reports MemTotal as 32680
kb.  The system performs as if it only had 32 MB of RAM.  A reboot of
the system resets total memory to the proper value.

My question is:

1) Has anybody else encountered this?
2) Does anyone know what causes this, or better yet how to avoid it?
3) Is there anyway to recover the lost RAM short of a reboot?

Thanx,
Ian