Installing Excel 97, SUCCESS!!

Fredrik Persson frepe at bredband.net
Tue Aug 20 07:43:42 CDT 2002

Hi again!

Yesterday I wrote to this list complaining that I could not install Excel 97. I have now succeeded. The trick was NOT to run "install.exe", but to unpack xl97_1.cab and run the acmsetup.exe in there, like so:

"wine -- acmsetup.exe /T excel97.stf"

(I think that excel97.stf existed in the first cab-file as well.)

The installer will ask for a few files that all can be found in the cab-files.)

However, running excel (using "wine excel.exe") does not work. This is a swedish edition, and that is most certainly part of the problem, if not the entire problem.

Running "wine excel.exe" gives a splash screen and then exists with this printout:

fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub
fixme:string:GetLocaleInfoA 'ICOUNTRY' is not defined for your language (0C1D).
Please define it in dlls/kernel/nls/YourLanguage.nls
and submit patch for inclusion into the next Wine release.
fixme:string:GetLocaleInfoA 'IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE' is not defined for your language (0C1D).
Please define it in dlls/kernel/nls/YourLanguage.nls
and submit patch for inclusion into the next Wine release.
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
/usr/bin/wine: line 439:  9688 Terminated              $WINEBIN/$WINE_BIN_NAME "$@"
Wine failed with return code 143
Terminated

However, the nls-file it talks about MUST be "sve.nls" ("swedish" in swedish is "svenska" which becomes "sve" when abbreviated to three letters, which seems costumary for nls-files) which has been present in the wine source code for quite some time, it's latest change date in the cvs is in march. In essence; I don't really think its missing.

So... what can I do? Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I'm running Debian/testing and everything is up to date. I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade a few hours ago.

Thanks!

/Fredrik Persson