Wine Hides On-board RAM

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Aug 27 16:55:39 CDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
[...]
> > To differentiate from Windows, nobody's suggesting you remove and
> > reinstall
> > Linux, here :-)
>
> Unless I misunderstood Andreas' e-mail, that i pretty much what he is
> recomending.

Not quite. You can compile and run a new Linux kernel without
reinstalling your system. Furthermore, you can switch back and forth
between the old kernel and the new one at each reboot.

Andreas was recommending a blind upgrade with a prayer that the bug be
fixed, but you can also view this as a way to diagnose the problem,
pretty much like one would do a binary search on Wine's CVS sources to
find when a bug appeared.

In your case, either the bug is still present in the latest kernel which
then means you are not wasting your time trying to fix a bug that has
already been fixed, or it is no longer present and then analyzing the
differences between the two kernels may help you find what was wrong.

Note: I'm running Wine a lot on my system and have never seen MemTotal
change (with 2.4.17 and older kernels).

                            -- from some indian guy