cut and paste problem

Chris Berry compjma at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:49:32 CST 2002

>From: "Patrick Tighe" <ptighe at detroit.faurecia.com>
>I can make a certain case for absolutely not.  Myself, I'm considering
>strongly going back to Windows for work, I've run into too many >instances
>where OO has not given me the correct info.  this is very >important when
>I'm looking at a quote from a supplier, and the fields >with multiplication
>are not multiplied.  Also, checkboxes don't come >across, and I'm sure
>there are others.  While I believe Linux to be >the superior OS, I don't
>believe Star Office, or Open Office are up to >the level of MS Office.

We've been switching over to OO from MS and you're right, there are about 5%
of documents that have some problems, but given the ROI, we think its worth
a few extra labor hours.  Also, most of the time you can find a slighty
different way of the making the document and let your supplier know how to
change it, and you're both happy.  The multiplication problem is probably
caused because someone got lazy and used a cell reference when they should
have used a variable.  Checkboxes seem to work fine on mine though.
Personally, I think its worth a little hassle to be able to have the same
word processor on both platforms.  Of course, if your company has some heavy
macro users, you may have to stick with M$ products.

Chris Berry
compjma at hotmail.com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."