Apps under wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Tue Dec 10 13:12:56 CST 2002

Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got notepad.exe to work under wine (i think it's built in).
> I'm trying to get wordpad.exe to work now. It's currently in
> ~/driveC/Program Files/Accessories.
>
> Wine says it can't find wordpad.exe. Do i need to add an explicit
> path for it in wine config, or should the windows registry supply
> the path?

The registry does not supply the path. There is a "Path" environment
variable in ~/.wine/config, but I think the best thing to do is to use
an explicit path when invoking the program. There are a number of ways
to do that. You can create aliases for commonly used programs, or create
short executable scripts somewhere like /usr/local/bin. Or create icons
which execute the program.

For less commonly executed programs, I find that it is easiest to take
advantage of shell autocompletion. I just type "wine /c/P" then hit tab
to complete out to /c/Program\ Files/, etc.

> Is it any use copying the original windows registry to wine?

Only if you are copying over programs you installed within Windows. If
you install programs within Wine, the registry entries should be made
correctly by Wine.

> I've copied all of C:/windows and C:/program files
> from a windows pc to wine. Is that the right thing to do?

I personally think it is better to create a Wine C:/ directory from
scratch, copy over just the DLLs and fonts, and reinstall the programs
you want. That way I don't need to worry about whether I correctly
copied over all the files that an app used.

> In my artificial drive C:, does the case of the file and
> directory names matter?

In general no, but it can cause some odd things like having two copies
of the same filename in the same directory, with the only difference
being differences in names case. However everything will continue to
work fine.