Help!!! - New Wine - now my apps don't work

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sat Dec 21 14:43:22 CST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 12:22, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >   I have been running a recent CVS version of Wine for about 2 weeks
> >successfully. However, it was a 'no Windows' installation and I have
> >some app bugs that have shown up, so I wanted to try an installation
> >where it could use my Win ME partitions to run better. I installed that
> >this morning. Now my installed Quicken no longer works.
> >
> >   Also, I see that the .wine/config file points to /WINDOWS/C_Drive and
> >no longer points to /home/mark/c, meaning it's possibly looking at the
> >wrong registry or something?
> >
> >   Please help me understand how to get this fixed.
> >

> To the bes of my knowledge wine works better with no windows than it
> does with windows xp/me. In fact this is a FAQ.
> http://www.winehq.org/Docs/wine-faq/t1.shtml#IF-I-USE-WINDOWS-WHICH-ONE-WORKS-BEST
>

> As far as the password box not showing up it might help if you modified
> your ~/.wine/config file so that the app defaults for quicken used
> desktop mode insted of manage. Section 4.1.2.12 of the following link
> explains how to do this
> http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-user/configuring.shtml
>
> I triage the bugzilla database and I do not recall seeing this bug
> regarding quicken so I think it would be safe to submit it.

Tony,
   Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the links this
afternoon. I'll see if I can figure out the desktop mode you speak of
and try it from there.

   I got Quicken running again by reinstalling wine with no windows. I
am concerned that the 'With Windows' mode makes the C:\ drive my real
Windows C drive. This would potentially make new installations write to
the real registry, wouldn't it? That's scary to me. I do not want Wine
to have any effect on a correctly working portion of a dual boot machine
like this.

   Thanks for all your help! Makes me feel better someone is out there!

Cheers,
Mark