Help!!! - New Wine - now my apps don't work

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Sat Dec 21 15:35:32 CST 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 12:22, Tony Lambregts wrote:
>

>>As far as the password box not showing up it might help if you modified
>>your ~/.wine/config file so that the app defaults for quicken used
>>desktop mode insted of manage. Section 4.1.2.12 of the following link
>>explains how to do this
>>http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-user/configuring.shtml
>>
>>I triage the bugzilla database and I do not recall seeing this bug
>>regarding quicken so I think it would be safe to submit it.
>>

>Tony,
>   Indeed, desktop mode did solve the password box issue. Now I wonder
>if I should enter the bug?

There has been talk of getting rid of desktop mode on wine-devel.
However so far there is no big push to do so. In theory you should not
need to use "desktop" so it is a bug. Also I noted that you are not
using the latest version of wine.  It is possible that the newest
version does not have this problem. so upgrading to wine 20021219 would
be advisable before submitting a bug.

>   I'll have to do more study to understand what the difference in these
>modes are. Wine is very powerful, but very complicated too!

Yeah... AFAIK it is the most complicated project out there. To me it
makes Mozilla look like a text editor. The real problems is that there
are thousands (millions??) of programs out there and there is no way
that the developers can have access to all of them.

Right now the the current goal is 0.9 and one of the criteria for this
is to get a certain number of applications working flawlessly (as
possible) The more popular a program is the more likely it is to be
considerd for this list. Quicken is a fairly popular program and
therefore it is likely to have a fairly high priority to get it to work
properly. Good bug reports can help a lot.

--

Tony Lambregts