Help!!! - New Wine - now my apps don't work

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Dec 21 16:38:11 CST 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:
>    I got Quicken running again by reinstalling wine with no windows. I
> am concerned that the 'With Windows' mode makes the C:\ drive my real
> Windows C drive. This would potentially make new installations write to
> the real registry, wouldn't it? That's scary to me. I do not want Wine
> to have any effect on a correctly working portion of a dual boot machine
> like this.

Wine should never write to the "real" registry on the Windows partition.
It makes all changes to the registry files ~/.wine/*.reg. It will modify
the real *.ini files, but that is less likely to cause problems.

In general, if you are using Wine in conjunction with a real Windows
partition (though as Tony mentions, you should probably avoid that with
WinME), then you probably should always do program installations in
Windows rather than in Wine. Else when you boot Windows, it will not
have access to the registry entries made by Wine, which went into the
Wine only registry files.