Couldn't find a decent font

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sun Dec 22 21:32:21 CST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 17:28, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> The second is that the debugger is not finding a font (that it likes) to
> use. I've had that problem too (darned if i know what the fix really is
> though) I thought it was just me... If you want to use  the debugger
> then you need to get this fixed.  I have a few ideas...
>
> wcmd (wine's dos shell) is another winecosole program that seems to be
> less picky. So using it to test your fonts is what I would sugggest.
> First run "wcmd".  When wcmd is up and running right click anywhere on
> the screen. this will/should bring up a menu with one of the options
> being "set defaults". If you click on the option it will bring up a
> screen with 3 tabs. Click on the font tab. There should be at least one
> font that wcmd likes.  Once you have wcmd set up the way you like. you
> can try running "winedbg" by itself.

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-users/2002/08/0163.html

Tony,
   In one of the few threads I could Google out of the Internet you
mentioned to someone else about setting the desktop to 640x480. Doing
that on my machine allowed a window to pop up and then disappear
immediately with the same error message.

   I looked at my installation using Synaptic and it appears to have
pretty standard stuff installed, including True Type fonts. I have
removed a couple of editors, like Abiword, which I don't use at all, so
it is possible that some fonts got removed. If the Wine web site has
info specifically about fonts I haven't found it yet.

Mark