Changing FS type reported by Wine

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 25 14:45:49 CST 2002

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Tony Lambregts wrote:
>

>> Well thats a patch that shouldn't go into cvs. <g>  If it does "fix"
>> the application though then there should be some way for wine to do
>> it the "right way".  The way I see it there are two ways to do this.
>>
>> 1.) wine should try to set the fsname to NTFS if underlying file
>> system can support files sizes > 4GB.
>>
>> 2.)There should be a conf file option for NTFS along with MSDOS, unix
>> and win95.
>>
>> The difficulty with wine trying to do this automaticly is that it
>> would need to find the file system type of the current directory and
>> not the root. This is of course because of the way the unix file
>> system works. The current directory could very well be an MSDOS drive
>> while the root drive is an ext3 and this function is only aware of
>> the root drive.
>>
>> AFAICS Having it as a config option is easier to implement and
>> removes the problem from the developers hands.<g>
>>
>> For myself I (think I) could implement it as a config option but
>> Iwould prefer that wine could deal with it automaticly.  If anyone
>> has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
>

> Is it a serious problem using the file system type of the root?  This is
> a fairly obscure problem anyway, and if you encountered a problem with a
> specific application you could set up new drive letters for the specific
> file systems you needed.  It's a little kludgey, but I don't see it as
> being incompatible with the intent of Wine - after all, while Wine _can_
> access Unix file systems, and use the features of them, it's providing
> an interface to Windows which _doesn't_ understand the concept of
> different file systems under a single drive.

Right now I am working on a solution that leaves it in the hands of the
user (the ~/.wine/confige option). If someone at a latter date wants to
implement a dynamic solution that is up to them.

After thinking about it I have come to the conclusion that the user
should know if the directory that he is writing to is fat or not. The
default config option should still be win95 and the documentation should
be clear enough that the user will know when to use it.

--

Tony Lambregts