no built in EXE module loaded did you specify an .spec

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 8 18:19:46 CST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Erwin van de Glind wrote:

> Well i execute a setup file in my own account djcoke this was produced:
> djcoke:~$ wine d:\\setup.exe 2>&1 |tee ~/logfile
> No built-in EXE module loaded!  Did you create a .spec file?
> djcoke:~$ vi ./logfile
> No built-in EXE module loaded!  Did you create a .spec file?
> :q
> djcoke:~$
> well that was it and nothing more :(
>
> Hope this will helps out :)
>
> Greetz
> DjCoke
> BTW : I'm using the winex version of wine maybe thats the problem ?

Okay, there really is an error message like that.  It comes from
relay32/builtin32.c.  I had just never seen it provoked before.
AFAICT, you have got Wine terribly confused, and it thinks it is trying
to load a Winelib executable.  That, I guess is why it is nattering
about a .spec file.  It thinks you are asking it to load a Winelib
program you have not built correctly.  Any way I try to do it, I get
"invalid exe" or some complaint about what nonsense I have set into
WINEPRELOAD.

What on earth _is_ D:\\setup.exe?

What does

file <unix path to D:>/setup.exe say?

how about "winedump dump"?

What happens if you try to run some other .exe file, say that nasty
little cmdl.exe I posted a few days ago?

Sorry I doubted your error message.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!