ldconfig : ..... .so is not a symbolic link

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Fri Feb 15 22:13:37 CST 2002

On 2002.02.15 11:48 lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:
[SNIP]
> Not only that, but
>
> make uninstall
> make install
>
> is broken.  I thought that would fix it, but I had to install the wine
> binary by hand, and the result is exactly the same.  Where there were
> symbolic links before are now copies.  Besides wasting file space,
> though, I don't see it does any harm.  You get this mail by the latest
> Wine, ldconfig warnings and all.

Hmm...

To make uninstall:
rm -rf /opt/wine-cvs

To build and install:
./cofigure --prefix=/opt/wine-cvs
make depend
make
make install

To run:
Be sure /opt/wine-cvs/bin is on your PATH and that /opt/wine-cvs/lib is in
your /etc/ld.so.conf.. that's IT.. why WOULDN'T you put Wine in it's own
prefix under /opt or /usr or wherver you please.

Solves all of these problems.

Besides.. make uninstall is a broken concept anyway.. Who the hell would
want to keep the sourcetree of a program around just so they could
uninstall it properly?  Not I.

-Dave