Help tracing WINE funcion..

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 22 11:09:44 CST 2002

On 22 Feb 2002, Rick Romero wrote:

> I have no idea.  It's the Visual Foxpro development environment.  It
> could very well have been written in C++ at Microsoft.

There are a few things that are heavily used by most nasty VC++ programs
(__CxxFrameHandler, FI) that are not implemented yet in builtin msvcrt,
so if it is a VC++ app, I would expect you would have to use native
msvcrt, ant --debugmsg +snoop should trace calls into it.

> hehe I KNOW I don't have a clue, but you didn't have to point it out :D

That didn't come out as I intended.

> Exactly my thoughts.  My interpretation of the results, is SetCapture()
> is exectuted (button down), and a SetCapture() button up is never
> re-executed, maybe because of some while loop that's not being triggered
> because of some weird FoxPro usage...
>
> Maybe someone can get something out of that.. I've been comparing them
> for the past 30 minutes and I can't see anything significant...
> Interesting x11drv returns a different GetCurPos()
> The 2nd Get QueueStatus after the 2nd WM_LBUTTONUP has a different
> reval=00040000 on the "bad", where the "good" is reval=00060000"

Sorry, I am not much good with window messages and buttons.  It is a
regression, I see.  If you want wo work hard at it, there is a
procedure outlined in <wine>/documentation/cvs-regression.sgml to
distill it down to the very patch that broke things if you have the
patience and disk space.  Then you can go after the author to help fix
it.  Feel free to use this nasty little sed program to render sgml
almost human-readable, or use the other forms of doco at winehq or the
wine ftp sites.

#!/bin/sh
#<wine>/documentation/*.sgml reader (c) 2000- Lawson Whitney
# Use, distribute, or change at your own risk.
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

> I wouldn't know where to go from here, but maybe it'll help someone
> else. I can run comparisons for anyone if they'd like, though I never
> figured out how to save a trace to a file, > didn't work, so I'm just
> scrolling now :/

Well, that I can help with.  Wine writes debug output to stderr, file
number 2.

wine --debugmsg +relay 2>&1 | tee logfile

is best for general use.

wine 2>logfile

wine &>logfile  (bashism)

script oops