Wine scipt won't start

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Feb 24 18:36:51 CST 2002

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Steven Gilroy wrote:

> Is this a version that you compiled?  If so I would suggest re-compiling
> it with the new kernel
>
> Cattab Cattabiani wrote:
>
> > That's my problem: i've recompiled the kernel
> > and the wine script doesn't run nomore. The error message is:
> > "/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register:
> > no such file or directory."
> > The directory is there but i can't write in that directory. What can i
> > do?

/sbin/modprobe binfmt_misc

if you configured binfmt_misc as a module.  If in <linux>/.config you
see
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=n

you will have to learn how to run wine by hand with this kernel:

wine <options> blah.exe

Or of course re-configure and rebuild the kernel.  Change the value of
EXTRAVERSION in the toplevel Makefile first, please.  It will save you a
lot of confusion if you keep the module structure separate for different
configurations of the same kernel version.

> > With the old kernel it still works... what did i forget?!?
> >
> > cattab

When you build your own kernel, you are responsible to configure the
options you want to use.

Lawson