CAD on wine - some almost useable, others not at all...

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 17:03:54 CST 2002

On Saturday 23 February 2002 09:35, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First, I know your Linux/CAD-pages, and they are great. But while there are
> a lot of modellers and even some 2d-apps, architectural CAD (CAAD) is quite
> rare on Linux. BTW, Microstation for Linux exists only on some secret disks
> at Bentley afaik, they seam to be not willing to sell it to anybody...

yes this is a sore spot for me personally.
i had bought a copy of the student version that had the linux port.
it also had a dos, windows, and mac version(several disks were included)
i regestered the linux version and then recieved the key codes for the DOS!
version.  i quickly wrote back and explained that i had never any intention
of using the dos version but would like to use the linux version.  i recieved
a reply saying that not only could they only give one key per costomer, they
were droping the Linux version because no one was regestering them.
?
latter benttly annouced that were going windows only.
sounded like a scam to me.
I'm guessing that there were different parts of the company that wanted to go
in different directions.

I've tried to get the dos to run under dosemu, but no success.
and the same goes for the windows version under wine.  no luck.

i still retry from time to time.

> What I need is a productive CAAD software. I need objects like walls,
> windows, doors, stairs, not only geometry, I need to be able to create
> sections and views with a few mouse clicks, and these views must be able to
> adapt changes I make to the design. So, if you take a look at the
> functionality of Archicad or Vectorworks, you will understand that I can't
> use QCad for this (while it's great to have really free 2d CAD on Linux).
>
> The software that seams to be closest to my needs seams to be Octree at the
> moment, while it's missing still some functions and I have problems with
> their icon-free GUI.

yea, i appreciate that they are trying to be innovative, but they're
interface thru me a loop too.

> At the moment, I hope to get Vectorworks running on wine. But in the
> future, we need a real CAAD on Linux! I see that Linux might be an almost
> perfect base for architectural workstations, we have Gimp etc, the network
> software, we have professional 3d software, renderers and printing
> solutions for large format printing - but the architectural CAD is weak on
> Linux at the moment.

let me know if i can be of any farther help.