slow slow slow

Dan Kegel dkegel at ixiacom.com
Wed Jan 2 16:57:12 CST 2002

chip wrote:

> I find apps running in wine are unbearably slow. In particular - HTML-Kit by
> Chami. I really like this editor on NT at work, I want to use it at home on
> my FreeBSD box. It works in wine, just very very slowly. I do not have a
> windows partition. I'm running wine by itself. Any suggestions on ways to get
> speedier results?

I have the same problem.  I'm using a dual Pentium4 / 1.4 GHz
running Debian with Linux kernel 2.4.10, and run
Microsoft Sourcesafe every day using a Wine from late September
(newer ones break the commandline sourcesafe console behavior).
I get the feeling it's about 5x slower than native.

I suspect Wine simply isn't tuned for speed yet; everyone's
focussed on getting it working first.  And there's some sense to that.

I can't wait for the regression tests being discussed on
wine-devel to be written; that will give us a quick way to
verify that wine works properly, which will give people like me
the courage to try to rewrite parts of wine for speed.

David Howells was working on some speedups
(http://kt.linuxcare.com/wine/wn20000911_60.epl#1
http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20001002_87.epl#2
http://lwn.net/2001/0201/a/task-ornaments.php3 )
but I don't know if anything came of it.

- Dan