Office XP? Windows XP dlls? mIRClocked up.

Joseph R. Hoot joe at joehead.net
Mon Jan 28 18:11:10 CST 2002

I've read through some archives on the users mailing list and found some
answers to getting Wine 20020122 going.  I didn't have to change much
with the default way tools/wineinstall.  Here's my questions

1) Does Wine run programs that live in a native Windows XP vfat
partition using the native dlls?

2) Does Wine run Office XP, even if it is buggy?

3) Can it run programs such as Propellerheads' Reason?

I am currently running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.4.18-pre3.  My system
is running great.  It lives on half of the hard drive, while my WIndows
XP Professional lives on the other half of the hard drive.  I would like
to be able to run Outlook XP (Just because we have Exchange here at work
:(... Exchange is junk, if you ask me).  I have wine running using my
/mnt/windows vfat mount as the C:\.  I have modified my ~/.wine/config
to reflect my C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\ user Profile and added some
PATH arguments to include.  But besides that, I haven't done much with
the wine setup.

If I run  wine "C:\\Program Files\\mirc\\mirc32.exe"&  it will run
mirc32.exe very quickly.  It then allows me to connect to IRC and join
some channels.  It then freezes after about 30 seconds.  I normally use
KVirc for IRC in linux, which I prefer actually, but I am just testing
wine at this point.  Eventually I will try to get games going.

I know I have a few questions here, but whatever help anyone can give is
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Hoot