How much can you do without native windows?

Stevens, Julian C julian.stevens at amsjv.com
Thu Jul 4 08:54:07 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and I'd like to be able to run some windows
applications without using windows at all.

I suppose the main thing that stops me ditching windows completely is my
children not being able to run their various games and educational software (e.
g. Dorling Kindersley CDROMs "Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Science", "Eyewitness
History of the World" etc.).

I've trawled through the archives and the codeweavers wine applications
database, but people don't often say whether they are runnning with or without
windows dlls.
Could someone give me some indication of what can be run, either with no
native dlls or with native dlls that do not require a windows license (if
there are any).

Thanks very much,

Julian.