How much can you do without native windows?

Simon Taylor simon at unisolve.com.au
Thu Jul 4 19:51:57 CDT 2002

Julian,

> I suppose the main thing that stops me ditching windows completely is my
> children not being able to run their various games and educational software
> (e. g. Dorling Kindersley CDROMs "Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Science",
> "Eyewitness History of the World" etc.).

I've found wine to be a great help for these very type of applications, see
the following note, for example:

http://www.winecentric.com/wiki/index.php?Jacaranda%20Atlas%20Mapping%20Skills%20v2

My children run the applications on RedHat 7.2 with no Windows DLL's installed
by me, (ie: apart from any that are installed by the programs' own
installation process). Generally, the results are great.

I plan to submit some of these apps to the codeweavers application database
shortly.

Regards,

Simon Taylor

--