BadAlloc on certain X servers

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Fri Jun 14 12:36:51 CDT 2002

"Ole Wolf" <wolf at blazingangles.com> writes:

> I need to be able to specify a relatively large number of fonts for a
> remote login via X-Win32, without getting a BadAlloc error.
>
> Is this a problem that is to be found somewhere inside of the X-Win32 X
> server (meaning I'll get rid of it and buy another X server), or can I
> hack the Wine source to increase the limit of whatever resources are
> needed?

The BadAlloc error comes from the X server. At startup Wine will try
to load all available fonts to retrieve their metrics, and there is
probably some kind of memory leak or resource limit inside the X
server that causes it to fail. So you either have to reduce the number
of fonts Wine is using, or get another X server.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com