Application Database RFC

Jeremy Newman jnewman at codeweavers.com
Fri May 3 14:15:25 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 11:39, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:53:15PM -0600, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> > I have done a lot of thinking about the Application Database
> > http://appdb.codeweavers.com lately and how the rating system works. We

<snip>

> Way too complicated IMHO.

<snip>
> People do want to know whether a particular highly weird app
> (take "Femta" as an example ;-) might have the slightest chance of running
> on Wine, so having a relatively broad base is also pretty important.

I agree with Andi. Too much useless, redundant data. If you have an
issue with Wine, submit it to Bugzilla (bugs.winehq.com). Bugzilla is
where Wine bugs belong. The AppDB has to only answer a few simple
questions. "Does my app work?" and "How well does my app work?".

I do feel the AppDB does need a better rating system though. My plan is
to add a Wine version table to the Ratings. You would be able to Rate an
Application with 0-5 stars, pick the Version you where using, and if you
where using a Windows partition or a Fake Windows install. Also, I think
that each rating submission, should get a comment and a timestamp. This
would allow us to keep up-to-date info.

This addition, brings me to my second AppDB addition. To add a reports
section. The reports section would contain reports for:
- 20 highest rated Apps. (based on a calculation to be decided later)
- 20 highest voted Apps. (I plan to make the voting system more visable)
- Newest App Additions to the DB. (by popular request)
- Most Active Apps (by number of comments/ratings)

I also saw Andriy's comments about removing discussions. I oppose this
strongly. But, we can put in an option to hide them for those that do
not wish to read them. For us that like the comments, I think the
comments needs a sort toggle. I like to see the comments sorted by
newest first. Right now, oldest messages are at the top of the list.

--

__  _WebGeek/NetAdmin CodeWeavers -= http://www.codeweavers.com
| \| |_____ __ ___ __  __ _ _ _   -= http://www.dracowulf.com
| .` / -_) |  | / '  \/ _` | ' \  -= mailto:jnewman at codeweavers.com
|_|\_\___|\_/\_/|_|_|_\__,_|_||_| -= ICQ: 1842980 Yahoo: laxdragon