Want to help Wine project?

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 17:39:33 CDT 2002

Everybody,
  we switched in the middle of the discussion to
wine-users. Short prehistory - see below.

Keith suggested help as an application owner for a few
CAD applications. He already successfully runs these
applications on Wine and published an excellent
description here:

> > That's great to have interested vendor!
>
> i thought so, i've contacted all of the venders that
> i was able to get theiir
> stuff running, so far the only ones to show an
> interest has been
> intellicad/cadopia, and generalcadd.

Some vendors are interested in porting his applicaiton
to Linux. The applications already run fairly well
under Wine, so I think it would be relatively easy to
port it on Linux.

Below I describe where to find information about
porting an application with Wine:

> > 1) See "Winelib User Guide", "Packagers Guide" at
> > http://docs.winehq.com/
> > Information there is not complete, outdated but
> can
> > give you an idea.
>
> i have no room to complain, my page is rather
> outdated as well.
>
> > 2) Give wine developers know what is needed. Ask
> for
> > information on wine-users. If you see some
> problems
> > with documentation, Wine itself - let us know.
> Submit
> > bug reports, vote for existing bugs, discuss these
> > issues on the mailing list.
> > Be active - your feedback is very important and
> will
> > direct developers efforts.

The applications already run under Wine fairly well,
so I would expect it is relatively easy to port them
to Linux.
Anybody wants to add anything?

[skipped]

> > I definitely will answer your private emails, but
> I'd
> > strongly prefer to have public discission on
> > wine-users when this is possible. You will get
> much
> > more help from other developers and users.
>
> ok, i'll try to keep it there

Keith, thanks!

Andriy