Kazaa lite and mandrake 9

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Mon Nov 25 09:02:15 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 10:59, John Allman wrote:
> Rick Romero wrote:
> >>

> >I hate not getting stuff working.. If I get a chance this weekend I'll
> >install Mandrake 9 at home (which I want to anyways, but never got
> >around to).. and see how far I get.
> >
> >Rick
> >

> That would be fantastic! If you do please let me know how you get on.
> This is infuriating. I love my new mandrake 9 install and really want to
> use kazaa lite with it now that we've just got an adsl line in. I
> hopefully will be able to finish the win98 install this weekend and i'll
> let you know if it makes a difference. I have a sneaky suspicion this
> problem is related to ie. maybe it didn't get fully installed?

Ok, I have a compiled from CVS version of wine, using fake_windows, so
wineinstall created a ~/c/ drive for me.

I downloaded Kazaa Lite 2.0 from the kazaalite.com site, and followed
the directions for installing. Essentially, run setup.exe, copy hacked
kazaa.exe over packaged one, then replace the hosts file.

If I don't click 'No' fast enough when it asks for an upgrade, it'll
crash.  I also crashed when I tried to search.

I then added from the instructions at Franks Site:
http://frankscorner.org/wine/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=22&page=1

"Make sure you have the following dlls in the Wine system directory:
commctrl, comctl32, shdoclc, shdocvw, ole32, oleaut32, rpcrt4 and
shlwapi."

Add the following lines to the config file:
[AppDefaults\\kazaa.exe\\DllOverrides]
"commctrl" = "native"
"comctl32" = "native"
"shdoclc" = "native"
"shdocvw" = "native"
"shlwapi" = "native"
"ole32" = "native"
"oleaut32" = "native"
"rpcrt4" = "native"

So after I added the config stuff, I copied those DLL's from a Win98
install, and put them in my ~/c/windows/system folder.

I can now Search and Download.  (Didn't try anything else)
(though I still have to click 'No' on the upgrade immediately after the
window comes up, or it crashes)

Other than Kazaa, I only have Pegasus Mail, and GetRight installed.

HTH

Rick

> thanks
>
> John