Question about running DVD Profiler

Tom Williams tomdkat at attbi.com
Sat Sep 7 19:06:16 CDT 2002

Duane Clark wrote:

> Tom Williams wrote:
> > Hi!  I'm compiling wine-20020904 at the time of this writing and I had a
> > question about a problem I'm having running the DVD Profiler
> > application:

> > It tries to start and then dies with these errors:
> >
> > fixme:reg:RegNotifyChangeKeyValue (4c,1,5,50,1): stub
> > fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SHRINK34.LDR. Try setting
> > Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
> > fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD C:\WINDOWS\0002f7b.tmp.
> > Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
> > fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.
>
> The problem is that Wine as a general rule doesn't support VXDs. As with
> most "rules", there may be an occasional exception, but probably not in
> this case. Some programs use VXDs when run under Win98 but not under
> WinNT or Win31. So that is why the suggestion for trying those.
>

> > Now, my question is this:  since I have a WIndows 98 installation that
> > wine detected, should I change my Windows version in .wine/config to
> > 'nt40' or 'win31', per the messages above?   I DID try setting the
> > config to 'nt40' and that didn't help.  I'll see what wine-20020904
> > does.
>
> If it was still complaining about a VXD, then unfortunately, I think
> that pretty much means you are hosed :-( Unless you have access to the
> code for the VXD, and good coding skills ;)

Actually, I was mistaken.  When I specify "nt40" as the Windows version, the
complaints about the VxDs DO go away, but the app still doesn't run and I get
a Windows dialog with a "Dispatcher initialisation error 02" message.   I get
this with wine-20020804 and wine-20020904.

It's no biggie.  I have a WinNT machine at work I can run this app on so I'm
covered..... :)

Thanks again for your help!

Peace...

Tom