Is wine *always* mapping threads onto processes? (Was: Re: multiple instance

Frank Joerdens frank at joerdens.de
Wed Sep 11 05:47:40 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:43:12AM +0200, Fredrik Persson wrote:
> > > it's probably a unique instance of the app with 5 threads in it.
> > > each windows thread matches a unix-like process.
> >
> > Is that the general way wine translates windows threads, mapping them
> > onto processes? Would that really be a good idea? Usually the argument
> > goes that designing an app in a multithreaded rather than multiprocess
> > fashion is better, more resource friendly, albeit harder to do (e.g.
> > because inter-thread communication is much easier to do than
> > inter-process communication).
>
> Guys, are you *sure* that this is how Wine does it? You know, Linux always lists
> threads as separate processes in the ps listing.

Then it probably doesn't. That Linux lists threads like processes would
explain it, kind of. What still bothers me a little though is that if I
start the application under Windows 2000, in the Task-Manager I see
exactly one instance consuming 32 MB of RAM, whereas top under Linux
shows 5, consuming 32 MB each, or so it seems. Would top give false
information here about RAM consumption?

Regards, Frank