Is wine *always* mapping threads onto processes? (Was: Re: multiple instances . . . )

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 09:14:27 CDT 2002

Frank,

Linux does not have a lightweight thread model in the
stable kernels. I believe that the dev kernels have
implemented it but wine or glibc would have to be
changed to take advantage of it I believe.

Actually the memory you are seeing is probably NOT
32MB per process. The memory probably overlaps
somewhat in that the code that is not being changed is
not being copied only the data would be written again.
So of that 32MB probably 30MB of it is shared across
all the processes with only about 2MB being unique to
each process. The memory in use being reported is a
side affect of the Linux thread=pid model. This is
pretty normal behavior for a Linux box. Look at a java
program that has multiple threads and you will see the
same behavior.

--- Frank Joerdens <frank at joerdens.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 04:59:35AM +0200, Sylvain
> Petreolle wrote:
> > it's probably a unique instance of the app with 5
> threads in it.
> > each windows thread matches a unix-like process.
>
> Is that the general way wine translates windows
> threads, mapping them
> onto processes? Would that really be a good idea?
> Usually the argument
> goes that designing an app in a multithreaded rather
> than multiprocess
> fashion is better, more resource friendly, albeit
> harder to do (e.g.
> because inter-thread communication is much easier to
> do than
> inter-process communication).
>
> In my particular case, if the application were to
> spawn a few more
> threads, I would run out of physical memory pretty
> quick, with each
> one of those threads/processes consuming 32 megs.
>
> Regards, Frank

=====
Kevin DeKorte
kdekorte at yahoo.com