New user trying to install registry

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Sep 14 19:34:49 CDT 2002

Steven Rubenstein wrote:
> 1.  The information you say is outdated is in section 4.3.5 at:
>
>         http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-user/registry.shtml.
>
> 2. Now, as you say, I just tried:
>
>          regedit winedefault.reg
>
>      The command runs a bit, then a dialog box pops up asking:
>
>          "Are you sure you want to add the information in winedefault.reg
> to the registry?"
>
>      I answer "yes," then an error box pops up saying:
>
>          "Cannot import windefault.reg; Error opening the file.  There
> may be a disk or file system error."
>
>      I did file searches, and regedit shows up in /usr/bin, but there is
> no winedefault* anywhere.  Is that a problem?

Is this a Redhat RPM? Looking at the Redhat cdrom with
rpm -qlp /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/wine-20020327-1.i386.rpm

For an installed RPM, you should be able to see what it installed with:
rpm -qi wine

I see that the Redhat RPM does not supply windefault.reg. However, I
notice that there are the files /etc/wine.reg, /etc/wine.systemreg, and
/etc/wine.userreg. Presumably, these files contain the registry entries
in winedefault.reg, but not having used them, I can't be sure. I don't
really know what Redhat intended, but if you are using RH, try taking a
look at the files in /usr/share/doc/wine-xxxx...

By the way, you might also mention what RPM you are using.