DDE Error

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:06:32 CDT 2002

Raul Dias wrote:

> It seems to be all right, however this is the first time
> I see this message and I have no idea what does it mean.

DDE relates to interprocess communication. For example, some programs
have a button to click to bring up a website in the Windows internet
browser (IE or Mozilla or whatever). They do that by establishing a dde
connection to the browser, then sending a string to the browser with the
URL to bring up.

I guess maybe there are some kind of messages that installers can send
to the desktop. You are probably seeing the messages now, perhaps
because recent additions to the Wine code exposed the fact there is no
emulated desktop to talk to (really just a wild guess on my part)?