Installing Wine from Scratch

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:34:35 CDT 2003

Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to find the documentation that will walk me though
> what do to after
> 'make install'
>
> The README says look at the documentation, the documentation doesn’t
> realy say anything
> other than to se 'tools/wineinstall'

For the first installation from source, you are really better off using
tools/wineinstall. I've been using Wine for 3 years, and still using it
if I want to do a fresh install (for testing purposes). I should do
pretty much everything you need for the installation.

In general, after a "make install", about all that is left is making
sure that /usr/local/lib (or wherever the main Wine libraries are
installed) is in /etc/ld.so.conf, and that the ~/.wine/config file is
correctly configured. Other than that, maybe copy over DLLs and fonts
from a Windows installation if desired.