wine-users digest, Vol 1 #1514 - 18 msgs

David Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 02:31:52 CDT 2003

On 28 Apr 03, at 15:27, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> >   11. Re: Problems Running Word Perfect 9 for Win32
> >   under Wine (David
> > Jones)
>
> > Hmm, don't know WP9 much, but WP used to have a
> > feature called (IIRC) enhanced file dialogs. It was an
> > option to replace the standard Windows File Open and
> > such like dialog boxes with enhanced ones.
>
> David, thanks for the hint! I started WP9 (under Wine) and
> went into Tools. Found my way to the settings and turned
> off Enhanced file dialogs. It's improved a lot! I can open
> several smaller documents, and WP9 now automatically
> translates gif's, jpegs, ... into the proper form.

That's pretty good!

> It still hangs on some larger, more involved documents -
> but seems fine in both English and Spanish for smaller
> documents with graphics. I'd try to talk the group into
> going with a DTP package (it's for a weekly bulletin) -
> but think they'd lean towards MS FrontPage (argh!!!).

I've done professional DTP work in PageMaker, Ventura
Publisher, Word, and had encounters with FrontPage -
but perhaps you mean MS Publisher???? Anyway, WP
matches up with any of them for DTP work. I did my
church's weekly service bulletin and monthly newsletter
using WP for 6 years.

> Anyway - thanks - we're most of the way there. Can now
> create, save, open, do graphics, ... - just get hung up on
> complex documents. I had also fiddled with DLL load
> orders, but put them all back to standard - that seems to
> give the least problems.

Too bad Corel doesn't sell WP8 for Linux anymore ... I
have that here, just as powerful as WP for Windows!

David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com