problem with wine (cannot run ANYTHING)

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:42:32 CDT 2003

Ethan Baker wrote:
> I am completely unable to run anything on wine, as I get the following
> errors:
>

> wine c33setup.exe
> Building font metrics. This may take some time...
> Font metrics: 0.0% done
> fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like
> '-baekmuk-batangbdf-bold-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-100-ksc5601.1987-0'
> are not working correctly now.

You can remove the offending fonts from your X font server; a few do
break Wine.

Or a better solution, if you have a reasonably current Linux version, is
to create a windows\Fonts directory in your Windows directory, and stick
some TrueType fonts in it. You can get the fonts from a real Windows
install (in C:\windows\Fonts) and also from:
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

That will cause Wine to use direct Font rendering, which in general is a
good thing (better performance and quality).